link href='/favicon.ico' rel='icon' type='image/x-icon'/> Mallige Idli ( Steamed Rice Together With Lentil Cakes); Meatless Monday | Healthy Food

Mallige Idli ( Steamed Rice Together With Lentil Cakes); Meatless Monday







Idlis are a staple inward my home. Either every weekend or at to the lowest degree every other  weekend I brand it. If I receive got house-guests, together with then i breakfast is guaranteed to hold upward idli-sambar. And the idli batter has a pretty permanent identify inward my refrigerator. This is non because I am a South Indian. Well, yes,partly because I am a South Indian, but by together with large because everyone at domicile likes idlis. My hubby likes it amongst Sambhar, I similar it amongst chutney together with my kids similar it amongst butter together with honey. I similar my idlis amongst some texture. I receive got spoken at length well-nigh the idli texture inward my previous idli post.You tin notice it here. But my kids prefer the super-soft idlis that the Tamilians ( people from the southern Indian province of Tamilnadu) make. These idlis are made differently from the agency nosotros Mangaloreans brand them. The lentil-ratio is dissimilar inward that they purpose to a greater extent than rice together with less lentil. They grind the rice to a fine glue piece nosotros purpose rice rawa ( cream of rice).They too purpose cooked rice together with fenugreek seeds inward their batter. The effect is a homogenous batter that has a real fine puréed texture that results inward idlis smooth, soft & fluffy. Now since my kids similar it I brand this version to a greater extent than often. After all, it is all well-nigh the kids!Every straightaway together with and then I sneak inward my version of idlis. :)



This recipe is courtesy my Tamilian friend Vasundhara Rajan, who is to a greater extent than similar a woman raise to me inward this province hence far away from home.


Servings: makes around twenty idlis


Ingredients:


Urad dal( dissever matpe bean): 1/2 cup
White rice/ Idli rice: 1 1/2 cups
Cooked rice: 1/2 cup
Methi seeds: 1/2 tsp
Water:  for soaking, grinding together with steaming every bit needed.
Salt: 1/2 tsp ( tin adapt every bit per private taste)

Method:


Separately soak urad dal inward ii cups H2O together with rice, methi seeds together inward iii cups H2O for at to the lowest degree 3-4 hours. I commonly soak at nighttime together with grind inward the morning time or soak inward the morning time earlier leaving for function together with grind inward the evening.

Grind urad dal amongst 1- 1 1/2 cups H2O until fluffy . Take it inward a large bowl .

Separately grind the rice together with methi seeds amongst 1.5-cups H2O to a fine paste. You tin add together a lilliputian to a greater extent than H2O if needed.

Now add together the cooked rice to this together with grind until good mixed. Add this to the bowl amongst the urad dal.

 Add tabular array salt together with mix the batter well. The batter has to hold upward thick. It cannot hold upward runny.Allow it to ferment for 6-8 hours.

Grease the idli mold amongst oil, create amount it amongst batter until 2/3 amount together with steam inward the idli steamer / delineate per unit of measurement area cooker ( without using the weight) for 8-10 minutes on medium- high flame.
\


Turn off the oestrus together with permit it cool downward inward the steamer for some other 10 minutes earlier taking them out of the mold.

Idli served amongst cranberry chutney.


Serve hot amongst sambar/ chutney or both.

Idli served amongst sambhar.



Cooking made easy:


Grinding the urad dal inward a rock grinder makes it to a greater extent than fluffier every bit opposed to grinding it inward the blender/mixer. It too gives greater yield together with requires lesser H2O to grind.

Grinding urad dal amongst H2O ice mutual frigidness H2O gives meliorate results.

Tip for salubrious living:


If dandruff bothers you, try applying a juice of i whole lemon, plough over off it for thirty mins together with and then rinse every bit usual. This when done regularly for at to the lowest degree a month, volition trim down the dandruff significantly.


Food for thought:


Failure volition never overtake me if my decision to succeed is stiff enough. Og Mandino

Subscribe to receive free email updates: