link href='/favicon.ico' rel='icon' type='image/x-icon'/> Quinoa Idlis( Steamed Quinoa-Rice-Lentil Cakes) | Healthy Food

Quinoa Idlis( Steamed Quinoa-Rice-Lentil Cakes)




I ask maintain been using quinoa for a twelvemonth an a one-half now. I ask maintain a occupation though. I CANNOT purpose it every bit a substitute for rice! I brand salads, pilafs etc amongst it. Of course, my all fourth dimension favorite is the Quinoa-Black Bean Salad. I absolutely dearest it. Funnily, I am soundless to come upwardly across someone who has non liked my quinoa-black edible bean salad. It is a crowd pleaser each together with every time! Anyways, off belatedly I ask maintain been experimenting amongst it trying to purpose it inwards other nutrient items. I late made Quinoa pesto pasta together with everybody at habitation loved it! I ask maintain also successfully used it inwards Dosas. My latest corporation was making idlis amongst it which I must say was quite accidental! I by together with large brand my idli/dosa batter Th or Friday night then that I ask maintain it for Saturday/Sunday. Recently, I had made a large batch of quinoa salad for a friend's barbecue political party together with had close 1/2 loving cup left inwards the bag. Now one-half a loving cup is non plenty for anything... Not salads, non pilaf.Friday morning when I was soaking my Urad dal for idlis, I decided to add together the one-half loving cup quinoa together with ask maintain a chance! What is the worse thing that could  happen?I may non instruct a prissy batch of idlis... inwards which illustration I would only ask maintain to improvise together with brand dosas out of it! Luckily, the experiment was a success together with the upshot was soft, fluffy together with calorie-free idlis! This is a neat agency to sneak to a greater extent than poly peptide into my vegetarian children's bodies! They only dearest idli together with dosas!



Different people brand idlis differently based on how they similar their idlis. Each 1 to their own. I similar my idlis amongst a piddling chip if texture together with non only a lump of steamed batter. I ask maintain only tweaked my original idli recipe to instruct the quinoa idlis. This is how I made them:




Servings: 6-8 ( makes close 32-36 idlis)


Ingredients:


Urad dal: 1 cup
Quinoa: 1/2 cup
Idli rava ( rice rava): ii  1/2cups
Leftover cooked rice: 1/2 cup
Water: 1-1 1/2 cups to grind urad dal.
Salt to gustatory modality ( to a greater extent than or less 3/4 tsp)

Method:


Soak Urad dal together with quinoa together for atleast 5-6 hours( you lot could exercise overnight).

Wash idli rava/ rice rava thoroughly together with locomote along aside.

Blend urad dal together with quinoa together inwards a blender adding H2O piddling at a fourth dimension until it rises to three times the book you lot started with. When almost done, add together the leftover cooked rice.Make certain you lot hand the motor of the blender some residual inwards between. The consistency of the solid soil batter should last fluffy  and calorie-free ,not runny.
Pour the batter inwards a large bowl/ container.

Now mix the washed idli rava into the solid soil batter, embrace together with allow it sit down inwards a warm house overnight to ferment. If living inwards mutual depression temperature region, you lot tin locomote along it inwards the mutual depression temperature oven/ microwave overnight.

Next  morning add together  salt to the batter together with mix well.

Ensure that the batter has fermented well. You tin know this when the batter has risen a piddling inwards the container. Inadequte fermentation leads to piteous lineament idlis.

If the batter is every bit good thick, add together a piddling water. The consistency of the batter should last slightly thick ( thicker than dosa batter).

Heat adequate sum of H2O inwards the idli steamer/ pull per unit of measurement area cooker, depending  on which 1 you lot are using. Grease the idli mold amongst ghee/ butter, fill upwardly it amongst batter until 2/3 total . Place the idli mould/ mould stand upwardly inwards the idli steamer / pull per unit of measurement area cooker  only when the H2O within is boiling. Steam for 10 minutes on medium- high flame. Note: if using the pull per unit of measurement area cooker, exercise non position the weight/whistle on. Turn off the oestrus together with allow it cool downwardly inwards the steamer for some other 10 minutes earlier taking them out of the mold using a broad spoon.

Steaming hot  Quinoa Idlis are ready!

Serve hot amongst sambar/ chutney of your alternative or both.
I ask maintain served amongst mixed vegetable sambar together with dry peanut chutney.





Enjoy!


Cooking made easy:


The urad dal to rice ratio is 1:2 for raw rice rava together with 1:2.5 for parboiled rice rava. This is the ratio that has worked for me . When I added quinoa together with leftover cooked rice into the batter I increased the sum of rice that I added proportionately. I increased the ratio to 1: 2.5 for raw rice rava together with 1:3 for parboiled rice rava.

The urad dal when solid soil inwards a rock grinder is fluffier together with lighter. The fluffier the urad dal, the lighter the idli.


You know that the idli is done( good cooked) past times testing it amongst a toothpick. Insert a toothpick into the oculus of the idli. If it comes out clean, the idli is cooked well.

Once you lot take the idlis, house them inwards a airtight container/ hot box every bit idlis left uncovered tend to prepare a dry out difficult crust  on the top.

I by together with large brand double the sum of batter than stated to a higher house every bit I brand idli Upma or fried idlis the adjacent solar daytime for breakfast or eve snack.

Tip for salubrious living:


If you lot are the type of mortal who has dry out itchy skin, gets rashes easily attempt going on a gluten-free, dairy-free diet for three weeks. It by together with large helps cleanse the system.

References:
http://www.glutenfreesociety.org/gluten-free-society-blog/will-a-cleanse-help-accelerate-healing-on-a-gluten-free-diet/
http://www.schaer.com/en/gluten-free-living/gluten-free-diet/health-and-nutrition



Food for thought:


It is lineament rather than quantity that matters. Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Subscribe to receive free email updates: