link href='/favicon.ico' rel='icon' type='image/x-icon'/> Mixed Berry Jam; Meatless Monday | Healthy Food

Mixed Berry Jam; Meatless Monday




Eating salubrious is really of import to me. I endeavour to feed my solid unit of measurement salubrious meals. Therefore, I avoid processed foods every bit much every bit I can. It is amazing how habits prepare the agency nosotros inculcate it inwards our children at a really immature age. We practise non piece of job along soda or chips at home. Snacks for my children is close of the fourth dimension freshly cutting fruits as well as / or cheese as well as crackers. The exclusively processed snacks that my children consume are crackers. This does non hateful that I practise non allow them conduct maintain them at all. Yes, they tin conduct maintain chips as well as soda on occasion at a birthday political party or such an event. Only when ane knows what is bad tin ane appreciate the good.This past times weekend nosotros went on a route trip as well as my hubby happened to convey a large pack of Lays Irish Gaelic patato chips. My 6-year one-time ate a niggling fleck of it as well as didn't fifty-fifty enquire for seconds! My boy downright refused to consume it! I was really surprised. I had fifty-fifty packed cartons of 100% juice alongside me which neither of them drank the entire trip. All they asked for was  water! That is when I genuinely realized that habits are what nosotros inculcate into our immature ones!



Coming dorsum to the mixed berry jam, the shop bought jams conduct maintain a large quantity of high fructose corn syrup inwards them as well as too preservatives! My hubby and  children similar to consume breadstuff as well as jam ane time inwards a while. I came across this very berry cardamom jam recipe from my dearest friend from the blogging world,Sonal. The recipe looked easy. I had never made jam inwards my life! I ever idea of it every bit beingness a really irksome procedure for which I conduct maintain neither the fourth dimension nor the patience. But y'all see, I too know  that all of Sonal's recipes are wonderful as well as fool-proof. Therefore, I decided  to give it a endeavour past times making a small-scale quantity of jam. I ever conduct maintain enough of berries on hand. This fourth dimension I had an excess of strawberries as well as blueberries. So, I decided to purpose blueberries instead of blackberries. Oh, when I say y'all that the jam came out then wonderful.. That it left us licking our fingers as well as wanting more!! I exactly had made ane small-scale bottle. It was gone earlier I knew it! Do give this recipe a endeavour as well as allow me know what y'all think. I would love to listen from you.


Servings: makes ane 100 gms( 3.5 oz) bottle.


Ingredients:


Strawberries: 225 gms or 8 oz
Blueberries : 1 cup
Sugar: ii tbsp, heaped
Vinegar: 1/2 tsp
Lemon zest: 1 tsp
Vanilla essence: 1/2 tsp
Salt: a pinch

Method:


Wash good as well as air dry out the berries thoroughly. Add saccharide to the berries, mix as well as piece of job along it inwards the fridge for  atleast 2-3 hours. I left it overnight.


When y'all accept it out of the fridge, y'all volition bring out that the berries conduct maintain given out roughly liquid, yielding a overnice sugary syrup.


Put this inwards a blender as well as blend it without adding whatsoever additional water.


Take this entire mixture inwards a thick bottomed vessel . Heat it on depression flame. 

Add vinegar, salt, lemon zest as well as vanilla essence as well as mix well. 



Cook it on depression open fire until it thickens to the desired consistency. 


Turn off the open fire as well as allow it cool downward completely earlier storing it inwards an airtight container.


Stays fresh inwards he fridge for upto 10-12 days.


Serve it alongside breadstuff or apartment bread!

Enjoy.

Cooking made easy:


To brand certain that the jam tin remain fresh for longer, brand certain that all the pots, pans as well as spoons used are all completely completely dry. The berries must live on patted dry out completely using the kitchen towel or newspaper towel.

Tip for salubrious living:


Avoid nutrient items that comprise high fructose corn syrup.  What is high fructose corn syrup?? 

High fructose corn syrup is made from corn starch that has been processed past times glucose isomerase to convert roughly of its glucose into fructose.HFCS is used worldwide every bit a sweetener every bit it is easier to handgrip than granulated sugar, as well as since the toll of the raw material, corn, is to a greater extent than stable due to authorities subsidies as well as a wider worldwide base of operations of production, than saccharide cane. Use of HCFS peaked inwards the belatedly 1990s.It is institute inwards all processed nutrient items that are available cheaply. HCFS has been linked alongside diseases similar obesity as well as diabetes.
It is strongly recommended that people read the ingredients of anything that is store-purchased as well as await for nutrient items that practise non conduct maintain HCFS or await for items that conduct maintain saccharide inwards it's natural form.

References:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_fructose_corn_syrup
http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/high-fructose-corn-syrup/faq-20058201
https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/high-fructose-corn-syrup/
http://www.foodinsight.org/Content/3862/HFCS%20FACT%20SHEET%20-%20FINAL.pdf
http://drhyman.com/blog/2011/05/13/5-reasons-high-fructose-corn-syrup-will-kill-you/#openModal

Food for thought:


How practise y'all know you're going to practise something until y'all practise it? J.D.Salinger

Subscribe to receive free email updates: