link href='/favicon.ico' rel='icon' type='image/x-icon'/> Vaangibaath ( Eggplant Rice/ Brinjal Rice) | Healthy Food

Vaangibaath ( Eggplant Rice/ Brinjal Rice)






The other twenty-four hours my friend as well as I were out running errands as well as nosotros felt similar going to a South Indian Restaurant. While the North Indian restaurants are ubiquitous, South Indian are harder to come upward by. I don't know precisely why.. However I retrieve the western globe relates Indian cuisine mainly to flatbreads ( rotis, paratha, naan), chicken tikka masala, tandoori chicken, aloo gobhi as well as chole than to the South Indian cuisine of dosas as well as idlis. Dosas are cypher simply pancakes as well as crepes piece idlis are steamed rice-lentil cakes both of which shape the mainstay of South Indian Cuisine.Anyways, nosotros happened to larn to Dosa Hut ( translates every bit pancake hut) to swallow or then prissy as well as crispy masala dosa. 




While nosotros were done, my friend ordered or then Vaangibaath "to go" for her hubby as well as her for dinner. She doesn't know how to arrive as well as was craving it. Her ordering Vaangibaath made me crave it too.. I realized I had non made Vaangibaath inward a long time. I decided to brand it. Vaangibaath or Vangibath is cypher simply Eggplant Rice. "Vaangi"
means "eggplant"or "Brinjal" as well as "Baath" is rice. Basically it is rice as well as eggplant cooked together amongst flavorful spices to arrive something similar a pulao( pilaf). It is quite elementary as well as slow to make. I had or then chimes eggplant inward my refrigerator as well as I made it for luncheon the adjacent day. It is ordinarily served amongst or then chutney or raita ( yogurt based salad). My married adult man as well as I both relished it.







You larn Vangibath pulverization inward the store. I don't similar to run along a whole bunch of pre-mixed spice mixes inward my pantry if I am solely going to brand the dish sporadically. I run along a bunch of basic spices as well as mix it when I desire a specific mix. For Vangibath I role sambar pulverization as well as add together a duet of other spices to it. I role sambar pulverization to brand my bisibelebath too. Here is my quick version of Vaangibaath.







Servings: 4-6

Prep time: xv minsCook time: 20 minsTotal time: 35 mins



Ingredients:


White rice ( Basmati or whatever long grain rice is preferred): ii cups
Water: 4 cups
Onion: ii medium, chopped lengthwise
Cashew halves: 1-2 tbsp ( optional)
Eggplant, long diverseness ( Chinese eggplant): 3-4 medium-sized.
Oil: ii tbsp ( I used kokosnoot oil; whatever cooking crude oil tin sack endure used).
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Curry leaves: 1 sprig
Cinnamon stick: 1 inch piece
Cardamom:4 pods
Bay leaf: 1 small
Sambar powder: 2-3 tbsp
Salt: 1 tsp
Jaggery or sugar: 1/4 tsp
Coriander leaves: 1 tbsp  for garnish ( 1 tbsp)

Method:


Wash as well as soak basmati rice inward H2O for atleast thirty mins. Drain as well as run along aside.

Heat crude oil inward a sauté pan or pressure level pan. Add mustard seeds. Once it splutters, add together curry leaves, cinnamon stick, bay leaves as well as cardamom. If adding cashew halves, add together them now. Sauté for 15-20 seconds.




Add the sliced eggplants. Sauté for 3-4 mins until the eggplant slightly wilts. Now add together the sambar powder. Mix well. Add the washed as well as drained rice. Add 4 cups water, salt, jaggery as well as convey it to a boil. Reduce the open fire to low.



Cover as well as laid upward for xv mins.





When done, fluff the rice using a serving spoon.
Garnish amongst freshly grated kokosnoot and/or coriander leaves.





Serve hot amongst raita/cucumber-tomato slices and/or chutney of whatever kind.







Enjoy!   I can't expect to convey this to Angie's Fiesta Friday#174! I am certain this volition endure something novel to everybody!

Cooking made easy:


If using a pressure level cooker, don't role weight or whistle.
If it is convenient for you, y'all tin sack role the Vaangibath mix that is readily available inward stores.

Tip for salubrious living:

Cooking amongst minimal crude oil reduces the overall calorie as well as fatty content of the meal. Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 dominion of pollex is that whatever dish that uses H2O for cooking, does non remove much crude oil to cook.

Food for thought:



He who angers y'all conquers you. Elizabeth Kenny




Please practice portion your thoughts. Your persuasion matters!



Let us remain connected on Facebook Pinterest | Twitter | Instagram | Google+


Subscribe to receive free email updates: